Watermelon Roses

A collection of random thoughts, commentaries, and journaling. There is a lot to explore here, including links to other sites of mine. These are mostly for my own benefit, but guests are welcome to browse and explore as much or as little as they like.

Monday, December 25, 2006

Christmas Memories

My earliest Christmas memories were all at my Nana's house in McLean, Virginia. I remember hardly being able to sleep the night before in my Mom's old room and waking up so early that I was often sent back to bed, but not before catching a glimpse of whatever was sticking out of the stocking that was bigger than I was. I remember piles and piles of gaily wrapped presents, most of which bore my name. I remember passing out the presents from under the tree. I remember being 6 and having my Uncle Stuart (an actor/opera singer affectionately known as Uncle Loud-Mouth) there when I received my first tape-recorder. I still have the tape I made that Christmas morning, and I never would have believed I was that obnoxious had I not heard it for myself. I remember getting a doctor's kit that year, as well. I'm sure I was a nuisance with that!

I remember being about 9 and having my little cousin Erik there, who is 5 years younger than I am (and who recently married and is now expecting his first child.) I was heavily into my play-producing phase at that time and directed our Christmas play in which I was an angel and Erik was ... whatever I told him to be, no doubt. My favorite presents over the years included a Crissy doll with hair that "grows," a small toy kitchen with a real dishwasher and tiny toy dishes, my first Monopoly game (and the beginning of my love of games,) and my grandmother's piano.

I remember the first Christmas that I wasn't the first one to wake up ... I was actually the last! I was 10 at my other grandparents' Crystal City apartment. I know I must have been 10 because of all the talk about Ronald Reagan and the hostage crisis. I remember the shock the Christmas after my first child was born ... the stocking and the piles of presents were all for Justin and I had become an adult all of the sudden! I remember my grandfather always playfully crying out "I got gipped!" My uncles and my mother would no doubt chime in as well.

I remember the Christmas after getting my first credit card, and how great it felt to buy everyone real presents for the first time in my life. That was also my first lesson about debt, which I've tried to pass on to my son before he learns it for himself.

I know I'm fortunate to have so many wonderful memories of my family Christmases to revisit through the years, and I'm grateful for them all.

Merry Christmas!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such great memories! That's so neat you have that tape! Thanks for sharing. Merry Christmas!

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home