Watermelon Roses

A collection of random thoughts, commentaries, and journaling. There is a lot to explore here, including links to other sites of mine. These are mostly for my own benefit, but guests are welcome to browse and explore as much or as little as they like.

Tuesday, October 24, 2006

Telogen Effluvium

This might sound like a spell that Harry Potter would use, but it's not.

No matter how many times I go through it, the large numbers of hairs that I shed after pregnancy never cease to alarm me. Handfuls in the shower and plenty throughout the day, helped along by the clutching fists of my infant and the running of my fingers through my hair. Even though I know this happens every time I have a baby, I was still on the verge of going to the doctor to complain about hair loss until I came to my senses enough to find reassurance through internet research.

This temporary shedding is a condition known as telogen effluvium, and though it can be caused by several things, in my case it is brought on by pregnancy and childbirth. The hormonal changes of pregnancy cause more than the usual 10% of hairs to go into a resting phase, and when new hair growth begins a few months after childbirth, the old hairs are pushed out. Women who have been through this and didn't know why may be interested in reading more here (more detailed) or here (easier to understand.) As for the rest of you, I won't bore you with any more details. Suffice it to say my husband thinks I have hairballs and I'm contemplating cutting my hair short again.

Every time I get my hair cut short, I have some regrets and wish it would hurry and grow back. Although I get some compliments, my brutally honest teenager always tells me I should never do it again. Maybe everyone else is just trying to be nice. I know I'll regret it, but I tend to do it anyway from time to time. I'm not sure why, other than that I just get tired of fussing with it. Not that I fuss with it much ... I don't even own a hair dryer or curling iron. At the moment I'm just tired of seeing handfuls at a time when I wash it or put any type of styling mousse or cream in it. I'll let you know if I go through with it.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I've heard post partum hair loss seems worse than it is because of the hair that doesn't fall out during the nine months of pregnancy... all of a ssudden you have 270-odd days worth of shedding to catch up on. And I know I shed quite a bit of hair every day without being postpartum.

Ever read Laura Ingalls Wilder's book, The Long Winter? One of the Christmas gifts made and given in the story is a "hair catcher." The women would save their hair as it fell out and later turn it into a hair piece. Apparently, sometimes those buns at the backs of their heads were detachable!

I share your frustration with "to cut or not to cut." Personally, I look better in short hair, but deep down I prefer it longer. I can blame it on my dad-- he has for the last 47 years wanted my mother to grow her hair long-- it's really too thin to look good long, but men do have their fantasies. Ironically, it was almost boy-short when they met and married. My sister cut hers short after chemo a few years ago, and it really looks cute. My hair's just so bushy that if I'm not really careful when it's short, I look like Bozo. Okay, I look like Bozo half the time anyway, but the hair doesn't help.

Tell your handsome teen he can go find himself his own long-haired girl. By the time women get to their 40's or 50's (some day you'll be there), the only way to look good in long hair is to be Jane Seymore.
:) Jeanne

6:59 AM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Thank you for making me laugh! (The Bozo comment!) I never read that book, but a hair catcher is just what I need. Then I could make my own hair extensions and have the long, luxurious hair I've always wanted!

My handsome teen already found his own long-haired girl, and much to my surprise, LOVED her hair when she cut it shorter! I have yet to see the new cut, but I'm looking forward to it!

12:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

But of course he loved his girl friend's hair. It probably looks really cute on her! I have seen very few short hair cuts on women that were not flattering. Guys don't really know what they like.

I just got back from shopping for clothes. sigh. I did finally find something that fit (elastic waists are my friends) and looked halfway decent (except that my butt looked like it was sticking out a bit too far, but then it probably is)and was on sale, but it would look waaaaaay better if I had a better hair cut. I need one of those makeovers where they cut and color your hair and make you look ten years younger... but I'm too cheap so I always go the home color + $10 cut route, so there ya go. You get what you pay for. On the other hand, last year I had a gift certificate to a fancy salon and got a premium-price hair cut and you couldn't even tell they did anything. So maybe the more accurate maxim is, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. : ) JH

10:26 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

I long to have John Frieda or one of Oprah's favorite stylists do my hair, no matter the cost! Just once. I need someone (who would know) to tell me what would look best on me and then do it! Yeah, one of those complete makeovers would be even better. Are you listening, Oprah? :-)

10:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home