Watermelon Roses

A collection of random thoughts, commentaries, and journaling. There is a lot to explore here, including links to other sites of mine. These are mostly for my own benefit, but guests are welcome to browse and explore as much or as little as they like.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Current Events

11:38pm: I'm more stressed by the situation at home than by the cancelled induction! I got home around 7:30pm to find K gone back to work, only one child fed, no one anywhere near ready for bed, the house mysteriously filled with cookies and doughnuts, "clean" dishes that weren't clean enough for me, slimy Rayan footprints on our freshly cleaned carpet indicating that he had been allowed to go down the steps outside that lead to the toxic slimepool that our landlady refuses to clean up or cover up, the smell of burnt popcorn, popcorn kernels in various places NOT in the kitchen, Rayan playing in the litterbox with a piece of poop, an argument between Layth and Maya over which one of them had been playing with their grandfather's needles for his diabetes injections, dried-on remnants of poop causing a great rash on Maya, and when I finally finished helping Layth with his homework, putting all the children to bed, and sat down to eat some dinner, someone's cooking set off the smoke alarms, waking Layth and igniting panicked tears. Re-settle Layth, finish dinner, marvel at K's inability to see the need for someone to be here to help his parents with the children while we're at the hospital, dishes, laundry, tidying ... I don't have TIME to have a baby!!

3:10pm: Labor has been called off and pitocin turned off. Dr feels baby is way too high and puts me at higher risk with pitocin. A gel will be applied to the cervix to hopefully cause some kind of progress, then I'll be sent home. Gel could possibly start natural labor, but the current plan is to be rechecked in the doctor's office on Thursday morning, then decide what to do.

1:15pm: Not only did I get a room, I got the biggest corner room! I like my nurse, and she got the IV in on the first attempt (no lidocaine though - ouch,) so we're getting along just fine. I watched my soaps and waited for my doctor's partner to come do an ultrasound to confirm the head-down position. Pitocin was started on the lowest level a little before 1pm and has since been cranked up a notch. Nothing regular happening yet (and K isn't here yet,) but we knew it could be a while. I do feel a few irregular little contractions - warm-up exercises, I think. :-)

10am: The doctor called early this morning to let us know there was still a bed available but that labor and delivery had been filling up fast (apparently October is a busy month for babies.) She wanted K to check on the baby and give her a call.

After hasty preparations and arranging a ride for Layth to school, we rushed to his office for an ultrasound and confirmed that the baby was head down. The doctor told him to have me check in at 11am, so I'm currently sitting in the car in the hospital's parking garage, hoping no one claims the last bed and hoping that all this wiggling the baby is doing is just his excitement and not his attempt to thwart an induction by flipping around again! I'll try to update here periodically, with plans to move this post to 40 Weeks in a few days.

6 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

Come on, little guy!!!

2:59 PM  
Blogger Jill P said...

Thinking happy labor thoughts for you and your little guy.

3:08 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

When my pitocin was turned off after the first day of Brason's induction, all I wanted to do was cry. But a cheeseburger and chocolate shake (after a day of not eating) put a smile back on my face. And after all was said and done, he was definitely worth the wait.

I know this sweetie-pie will be, too.

Hugs from me!

4:29 PM  
Blogger Jenn said...

Throwing happy labor your way -

7:02 PM  
Blogger PolkaDotGaloshes said...

Nikki I am so excited!! I am sending "quick labor" wishes your way. Hope for it to all go smoothly for you and bub. Can't wait to meet him....hugs =)

10:54 PM  
Blogger Jeanne said...

re: inlaws needing help
Oh, Nikki. No wonder you are stressed! Bless your heart. Sounds like they are more than a little overwhelmed with the kids, to say the least. This is certainly not the "help" you need at this time.

I am so sorry.

(((Nikki)))

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home