Watermelon Roses

A collection of random thoughts, commentaries, and journaling. There is a lot to explore here, including links to other sites of mine. These are mostly for my own benefit, but guests are welcome to browse and explore as much or as little as they like.

Monday, October 20, 2008

Layla

Happy Birthday, Layla!

At 1, in Michigan

Thinking of Layla a lot today, on what would have been her 10th birthday. Our neighbors have a girl in fourth grade and a boy in first grade (one of Layth's best friends,) and it just occurred to me today that Layla would have been in fourth grade too, and might have been good friends with our neighbors' daughter. I know I'll be looking at her differently now, wondering how much like her Layla would have been.

Nearly 3, in England before her uncle's wedding

I've been thinking about Layla crawling out of my bathroom closet in her last days, saying, "Mama, look who's in your closet," as she pretended to be Nut, the cat.

Nearly 4, playing with ponies at home in Texas

We went to Chuck E Cheese, as usual, to celebrate her birthday, and Layth picked out a cake for her at the store. It's hard not being able to visit the cemetery on her birthday, but my mom went and left flowers, which helps.

At 4, in Texas.

I'm thinking a lot of the new baby, too, and wondering if this birth will have anything in common with Layla's birth other than the time of year. Wondering if we'll have one more dark-haired baby or not. Wondering if it's going to start tomorrow when I go to my appointment with the doctor!

In other news, I got a call from Rayan's pediatrician's office this morning informing me that their vaccination auditor (I never knew such a thing existed, but I'm glad of it) discovered that Rayan was missing a polio vaccination, and since the children needed their flu shots anyway, we went this afternoon. Flu shots for Layth and Maya, flu and polio for Rayan, and not one tear, howl, or whimper from the lot of them. I can't even tell you how proud I was of them! Of course, that called for a trip to the chocolate shop next door (downstairs from the new dentist's office - I don't think I mentioned that Layth has two small cavities that will be filled Wednesday if I'm not in the hospital) and getting to pick TWO chocolates per person, as well as sharing some yummy Mexican hot chocolate.

Since I keep dozing off here, I'm off to bed, perhaps to enjoy my last peaceful night's sleep for a while. I'm hoping for Layla dreams.

At 4, on a K and Layla only trip to England

Happy birthday, Layla ... I love you! xoxoxoxo

2 Comments:

Blogger Jeanne said...

A beautiful little girl.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Marti said...

Happy Birthday Layla! We celebrate you today and always.

Marti

8:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home