Watermelon Roses

A collection of random thoughts, commentaries, and journaling. There is a lot to explore here, including links to other sites of mine. These are mostly for my own benefit, but guests are welcome to browse and explore as much or as little as they like.

Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Oh, yeah ...

Oh, yeah, I'm supposed to be keeping this thing current! How time does fly. I have some updating to do! For now, a quick summary. Let's see ... since my last post in January:

Lunch with Mom and the extended family at Red Lobster for her birthday. We gave her a digital camera so she could finally stop buying those disposables!

We helped Nana and Granddaddy celebrate their 63rd wedding anniversary.

I remember my birthday being really nice, but since 37 seems to have brought senility along with it (who am I kidding, I've been suffering from senility for years already,) I'm really struggling to remember what we did! Thinking ...

Ten minutes later, I'm concerned about having so little memory of that day. After scouring my outbox to see if I told anyone about it, I did find the restaurant we went to for dinner, but little else. This was only six weeks ago! Now I'm wondering what's wrong with me. Maybe it's because it's 3am and I'm sleep-deprived. I remember tres leches cake, I remember getting spending money and a season pass to Scarborough Faire along with some flowers, and I remember a long-awaited Peking duck at the May Dragon for dinner. I remember that my mom and grandfather came over to babysit. I know K pulled a muscle in his neck that afternoon and barely made it through dinner. I remember nothing else! Did we go out for breakfast? Did we do anything else during the day? There are no pictures to remind me, no pictures of the flowers, nothing. If nothing else, this emphasizes the importance of writing more regularly, and backing up my writings so that I can preserve my fleeting memories!

K's father came to spend a few weeks with us, and we had a really nice visit. He even babysat so we could go out for valentine's Day. We swore off going out for Valentine's Day years ago after several years in a row of overcrowded restaurants with long waits that didn't take reservations, but this year we reserved a private, curtained booth in a fancy seafood restaurant and it was really nice. Unfortunately, I haven't liked fish since I was pregnant with Rayan, and for some reason I ignored my husband's suggestion that I order lobster and ordered fish instead, telling myself that I was surely over my distaste for it by now. I wasn't, and couldn't manage more than about three bites. On the bright side, I was already satisfied with the delicious bisque and calamari we started with, and the special Valentine dessert was a wonderful light pink chocolate "bag" filled with hazelnut mousse and fresh berries. I'd go back just for that dessert!

Maya turned two, and celebrated at home with a luau-themed party (she chose that over all the Disney themes at Party America) for the extended family. Rayan sprouted two teeth and is working on a third, started crawling, pulling up, and walking with two-handed assistance.

We've also been passing around various maladies ranging from intestinal bugs to head colds, but I'm hoping we're nearing the end now. There's been at least one sick person in the house at all times for over a month!

I've done some reading and watched some movies, (not to mention indulging my American Idol obsession,) but the updating of the sidebar will have to wait until I get some sleep!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, Nikki,
Don't worry about not remembering details... had to think long and hard just now about my own birthday (42!), which should have been quite memorable as it was celebrated with Brendon, my kids, my parents, and three of my siblings while we were at a ski resort in Colorado... that was the day before my bday, then the actual day we spent driving to see Amarillo to see my inlaws. I think we had lunch at Arby's...

But you know, you can read in any famous-person biography or study any museum exhibit, and never, ever will you come across any facts about how anyone celebrated any specific birthday. So it's okay. You're not senile, you're just old enough to prioritize the storage space in your memory.

Love,
Jeanne

8:21 AM  
Blogger Nikki said...

If I didn't already love you, I would now. :-)

12:18 PM  
Blogger Bethany said...

Happy Belated! It sounds like you've been very, very busy! Your Valentine's Day sounds nice! I hope everyone gets well soon.

10:25 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

Me too! Rayan's turn for a spot of fever now. :-/

11:18 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Say! I have pictures from your birthday taken on my new camera that you gave me! Um, but, they are only pictures of Granddaddy babysitting the kids :-/
I've got pictures of you from three days BEFORE your birthday, though, at Nana's :-) And pictures of you six days before your birthday, at Red Lobster... And pictures of you Feb. 17 at Nana's, and Feb. 24 at Maya's birthday party... I think perhaps you were invisible on your birthday!!!?

5:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home