Watermelon Roses

A collection of random thoughts, commentaries, and journaling. There is a lot to explore here, including links to other sites of mine. These are mostly for my own benefit, but guests are welcome to browse and explore as much or as little as they like.

Monday, October 03, 2005

Road Rules

Like many wives, I find it hard to hold my tongue when my husband is driving. We have completely different sets of rules we go by on the road.

Nikki's Rules
1. Never go more than 8 miles above the posted speed limit. I've been stopped at 8 miles over, so I rarely go more than 7 miles over. However, if I do choose to go 80 miles an hour, I'm sure I have very good reasons and know what I'm doing. (Justin ... do as I say, not as I do.)
2. Keep a two-second distance between you and the car in front of you. This is important when I'm driving, but even more important when someone else is driving. I'm one of those nervous passengers who is sure no one else drives as well as she does.
3. Signal when you want to change lanes. If you don't signal, I'm not likely to let you in even if I see you trying to edge over, unless I'm in a very peaceful, unhurried mood. If I'm a passenger and you start complaining that no one will let you in when you haven't even signaled, I'm probably not going to be very sympathetic. If you miss the exit because no one would let you in because you didn't signal, I'll be even less so.
4. Get into the proper lane for your exit well ahead of time. A mile makes me happy. Don't forget to signal.
5. When you see that lanes are closed ahead, start signaling and move out of the closing lane as soon as you can. Once you're over, let people over who are trying to do the same thing. If you speed past me and everyone else and try to get over at the last possible second, I'm going to be rooting for people to make you sit and wait.
6. Don't drive the wrong way through the parking lot. Follow the arrows!

K's Rules
1. Speed limits? What speed limits? No need to even look at the signs. Just follow along behind the person in the secondmost left lane, and you'll surely never be ticketed. Speed limit signs on toll roads are merely for decoration. We pay for the privilege of using this road, so we can drive as fast as we like on it.

As you can see, our road rules aren't very compatible. Our solution: I drive most of the time if we're together. If he drives, he's prepared for what I call gentle reminders, and what he calls constant criticism, and I remember very quickly why I prefer to drive.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Did either of you ever take defensive driving???!!! 2 seconds???!!! It's supposed to be a car length for every 10 mi/hr speed you're going!!!!

Um, as for driving against the arrows in parking lots...

::raises hand sheepishly::

...okay, so, well... driving a little car has its advantages!!!

5:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wait a minute... 2 seconds at 60 miles/hr.=176 feet, right? That's more than 6 car lengths, huh? Okay, never mind.

6:07 PM  
Blogger Nikki said...

From Roadtrip America (http://www.roadtripamerica.com/DefensiveDriving/Rule13.htm)

Guard your safety by actively creating space around your vehicle, never allowing yourself to get "boxed in." Adequate space creates time and helps you avoid collisions. Maintain at LEAST two seconds of following distance, more if you can. Adjust your position in traffic as necessary to avoid driving in others' blind areas. Don't allow yourself to be tailgated—change lanes or adjust your speed to encourage tailgaters to pass you.

Many of us were taught to use the car-length rule for following distance (one car length for every ten mph). That rule is no longer recommended because car lengths are difficult to visualize, impossible to visualize when moving, and the rule didn't provide enough space in the first place. For example, 6 car lengths at 60 mph provide roughly 108 feet of space. At 60 mph, the average alert reaction time eats 60 to 130 feet (and in the real world, closer to 135 feet for many), leaving little or no time to act. Two seconds of following distance at 60 mph, on the other hand, gives you over 176 feet of pavement to react and respond. Even at two seconds of following distance, you must respond quickly, but it can be done under normal circumstances.

6:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home