Watermelon Roses

A collection of random thoughts, commentaries, and journaling. There is a lot to explore here, including links to other sites of mine. These are mostly for my own benefit, but guests are welcome to browse and explore as much or as little as they like.

Monday, September 12, 2005

16 de Septiembre

El Grito de Independencia. Mexican Independence Day. Though we don't exactly celebrate Mexican Independence Day, per se, nor is there even a smidgen of Hispanic blood in our line that I'm aware of, my mother and I do go to the parade in downtown Fort Worth every year to cheer Justin on as he marches in the JROTC color guard. This year the parade fell on September 10. We didn't recognize either of the flags they carried, nor did we understand much of anything said other than, "Viva Mexico!" However, we still had a lovely time, particularly as this was the first year Layth was truly able to appreciate the parade. It was like Halloween, without the effort. Every other float that passed tossed handfuls of candies to the children. Layth collected enough that we could probably just pass it out at Halloween rather than having to buy candy, except that I'd feel like a cheapskate if we didn't pass out the 'good stuff.' Maya enjoyed the colorful dresses and marching bands, as well as the horses. She seems to share Mina's interest in animals, though it's too soon to say whether she'll love them like Mina did, as well.

After the parade, Mom and I took the children to
Paciugo. If you have never tried Italian gelato, (or even worse, if you've only had it at a Disney World, like I had,) seize the first opportunity you have to go to Paciugo. Better than ice cream, we were addicted from the first visit. Black Cherry Swirl remains my all-time favorite, though I always get it along with something I've never tried, in case I discover a new favorite. Mom saved Maya and me from a bee while we were there. I was fully prepared to just leave the bib the bee had attached itself to behind, since the bee wouldn't leave, but Mom sent us on our way and retrieved the bib. If you don't already know, I have serious issues with bees.

Thanks, Mom!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home