Watermelon Roses

A collection of random thoughts, commentaries, and journaling. There is a lot to explore here, including links to other sites of mine. These are mostly for my own benefit, but guests are welcome to browse and explore as much or as little as they like.

Saturday, March 26, 2005

Watermelon Roses


John Carroll Doyle's painting.

Why "Watermelon Roses?" What does that mean, anyway?

It was a sign. Literally. Many years ago, I was riding in the backseat of a car (that alone makes me think I might have still been a teenager living at home, but I'm not sure about that) when we passed a roadside stand with a handmade sign that said "watermelon" and underneath that, "roses." My mind was occupied for some time afterward, wondering whether watermelon roses were a rose variety, or whether the seller was selling both watermelon and roses. My thoughts segued from curiosity to the notion that "Watermelon Roses" sounded like a great idea for a book title, and from there I pondered just what such a novel would be about. That was the first time I considered writing a novel. Some 15-20 years later, I'm still considering writing a novel. I may still be considering it in another 20 years, at the rate I'm going.

I actually googled "watermelon roses" recently, just to be sure no one had stolen my book title idea, and found that it is indeed a variety of rose, as well as the title of a painting. I still wonder if that roadside vendor was selling watermelon, though. In any event, since no one to my knowledge has used it as a title for a written work yet, I'm claiming it now, and reserving the right to use it for a novel if I ever write one. No, I'm not copyrighting it. I'm just claiming it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home