Watermelon Roses

A collection of random thoughts, commentaries, and journaling. There is a lot to explore here, including links to other sites of mine. These are mostly for my own benefit, but guests are welcome to browse and explore as much or as little as they like.

Monday, March 28, 2005

Lassitude

I'm finding it very difficult to keep up with my two little ones. I've done this before. Mina was 19 1/2 months old when Layla was born, but I really don't remember it being this hard. Layth is 2 1/2, so maybe it's the difference in age, or maybe it's a boy thing. Maybe it's because I'm working much harder at keeping my milk supply up, since I had a problem with that with Layla and Layth and ended up supplementing with formula. I'm hoping to avoid that, so my schedule largely revolves around feeding Maya and expressing milk, then taking care of Layth in between feedings. Naptime is when I can do a few dishes and a load of laundry. That's pretty much my whole day.

I got 4 1/2 broken hours of sleep the night before last, and 6 broken hours last night, so today I'm waking Maya every few hours (which I'm supposed to do anyway, say the breastfeeding proponents,) and hoping she'll do her long stretches of sleep tonight.

Our cat, Nutmeg, is feeling very displaced. We haven't been allowing her to sleep in our room anymore because we've been afraid she'd jump in the bassinet with the baby, or get into all the bottle and pump parts that we leave on a towel in the bathroom to dry. Last night she decided she'd had enough of this neglect and spent hours (at least the three hours that I was awake with the baby) in the middle of the night serenading me through the crack under the door. Since Maya wasn't letting me sleep anyway, I finally relented and let her in. She wanted a bath. I gave her a bath. Yes, our mad cat loves water. I've never seen a more contented cat than the one snuggled up between my feet when I woke up this morning. I was actually afraid she'd died at one point, because I rolled over, nudged her out of her cozy spot, and she didn't even stir.

Time to wake a sleeping baby ... here's hoping it pays off tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home