Watermelon Roses

A collection of random thoughts, commentaries, and journaling. There is a lot to explore here, including links to other sites of mine. These are mostly for my own benefit, but guests are welcome to browse and explore as much or as little as they like.

Sunday, February 01, 2009

Food, Fun, and Feathers!



K and I went to Teatro ZinZanni last night for a belated celebration of my birthday. It's very rare that we get a night out together without the children. We danced together for the first time in many years!

Teatro ZinZanni is like a mini Cirque de Soleil dinner theater. It's held in a 100-year-old "tent" that feels nothing like a tent on the edge of Seattle Center. The walls are paneled with mirrors and the ceiling is draped with sumptuous velvet. The performers interact with the audience, which was fun to watch, but left me anxious about being thrust into the spotlight. While I loved being the center of attention in my younger days, the weight I've put on makes me want to hide so no one will look at me. Sad, I know. I'm perpetually working on that! Fortunately, I was in a difficult spot for the performers to get to.

We shopped in the boutique before being seated and bought a hat for K and a feathered boa and mask for me. I felt appropriately dressed in all my feathered finery, and we blended right in.

I won't go into details about the show, but we laughed, we gasped, we danced, we sang, we cheered, and more than once our jaws dropped open in amazement. I had read some tepid reviews about the food, but I thought the 5-course meal was delicious. The performers came from all over the world: the USA, Canada, Brazil (K's favorite - a sultry musical beauty,) the Ukraine, and France (my favorite - a charming trio of acrobats.) There was opera, percussion, tap dancing, gymnastics, contortion, acrobatics, comedy, and love. The only complaint I have is that the photographer never made it to our table and we had been told not to bring a camera, so I have no pictures in the tent. The show changes every 3-4 months. This may well be the best date we've ever been on, and I can't wait to go back for the next show!

2 Comments:

Blogger Bethany said...

You two look fabulous! What a fun, fun date! I loved catching up with you...miss you. Join Facebook when you get the chance!! Your babies are all beauties.

10:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

HA!

5:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home