Watermelon Roses

A collection of random thoughts, commentaries, and journaling. There is a lot to explore here, including links to other sites of mine. These are mostly for my own benefit, but guests are welcome to browse and explore as much or as little as they like.

Tuesday, July 31, 2001

K and I had a rare night out without the kids in downtown Ann Arbor. We tried Ethiopian cuisine at The Blue Nile for dinner. Our menu choices were: vegetarian or non-vegetarian. If you know me at all, you know I'm about as far from vegetarian as one can get. So they brought us a tray layered with a thin, spongy bread (you use this to scoop up the food instead of a fork) and covered with small servings of every dish they make. The Ethiopian spiced tea was amazing. They have no cane sugar in their diet, but the tea is sweetened with cinnamon, rose hips, orange peel and lemon peel. We browsed at Border's Books and Music for a while after dinner, then went across the street to the Michigan Theater to see an independent film called Songcatcher. The theater was so beautiful, and for those of you from my hometown in Texas, it reminded me of the old Carnegie Theater in Cleburne, only ten times as elaborate and gilded with gold. The acting bug bit me hard while I was in there, and made me miss the stage so much. As for the movie, I loved it. Poor K keeps finding himself dragged to movies drowning in bluegrass music. I'm in danger now though of being dragged to a Japanese mafia movie ... help!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home